View Single Post
Old 20-10-2018, 07:28 PM
tempestwizz (Brian)

I’ve just been through the SkySafari Starseeker/SkyFi Argonavis exercise on my Dob, and have had success!
http://www.skysafariastronomy.com/pr...fi/serial.html
The above URL shows the connections between the star seeker wi fi module Serial port and the ArgoNavis RJ11 serial connector.
Gary from Wildcard suggested using Skycommander protocol with a baud rate of 19200. I set this up on Argos serial port 2 as per the AN Manual.
For my system I used the Push To Alt/Az Mount, but you would used Push to GEM mount.
I agree with the settings you have shown, but I turn auto detect on, as it then auto connects the AN to the SkySafari program when you open that app.

I had huge confusion making the interface cable for DB9 to RJ11. And after several hours of research managed to get it wrong! It had the same error message you saw, indicating iPad communicating with the StarSeek module, but not the scope.
There is room for confusion in the pin numbering for the RJ11 connector also. Some advice shows a 4 pin RJ connector and some shows a 6 pin connector.

What worked for me is
DB9 pin 2 goes to RJ11 pin1 (4pin) or RJ11 pin 2 (6 pin)
DB9 pin 3 goes to RJ11 pin2 (4 pin) or RJ11 pin3 (6 pin)
DB9 pin 5 goes to RJ11 pin 3 (4 pin) or RJ11 pin 4 (6 pin)

Of course you need the AN to be aligned before you try to connect the Starseeker.
Happy nights for me.
HTH Brian