View Single Post
Old 21-01-2016, 04:37 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotspur View Post
Sad to read Morton,I hope you get the money back.

Always a difficult time in a situation like this,did you speak with the seller
of the item over the phone at all? I always seem to end up talking on the phone when buying an expensive item second hand like a scope/rifle/camera gear,I can generally pick up on whether the seller has a good knowledge on the item being sold,and if he has had dealings in other ways with other people in the same field and so on-like if they have been to such and such star party or got something mounted at this or that taxidermist,if something seems a miss,I'll pass but never had that issue when directly talking with the person.The only time I ever made the mistake was not having any contact on the phone when buying an item I got the run-around

Best wishes to you Morton.

Yeah, I should have gotten their phone number and insisted on talking to them. I read their profile and their posts and they seemed to know about astronomy. Using Paypal seemed like a "guarantee". Duh.

Now of course I can imagine that they just Googled the topic, found an suitable comment that had been posted elsewhere and basically copied it here, perhaps with a slight change of wording.