View Single Post
Old 29-08-2019, 08:13 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

I've watched the video by Graham Hancock.

As Sagan was fond of saying, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Hancock throws up "ideology" used by academics (dam, and I thought I was learning scientific method as an undergrad) are one of the key reasons why you should believe his BS.

But he is selling pure snake oil and BS.

A back of the envelope calculation will show for sea levels to rise by 30 feet in 24 hours would be an all-life-on-earth-ends-now event....as it requires about 1.2 to the 19th power, yes that's 120000000000000000000, litres of water to be literally added or melted on the planet overnight.

Assuming a big Vogon water-tanker didn't dump its load on the planet for their hyperspace road works, then 1.2 x ten to the 19th by 333.55 Kj of energy was liberated to melt a lot of ice. That's about 4x 10 to the 21st power of kilojules. or 1.11 to the 21st power watts of energy.

Hoped you packed your sunblock, as that is about 1000x more that all of the energy the earth receives from the Sun. Yet remarkably most species around the Holocene era were doing just fine.

Sure, some megafauna did become extinct about 10,000 years ago.....it took a couple of thousand years. That has nothing on the current extinction rate.

The current extinction rate is some 800 species in the last century, with close to 20,000 species now being threatened.

What caused such mayhem? Hint: rocks from space not required.....