Thread: Buying a QHY9.
View Single Post
Old 24-12-2009, 09:39 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Yes true, seeing plays a big part, and don't take this the wrong way - thats a great image, but it could use more exposure... theres plenty more in that field that you've not brought out yet... That is however more a case of what I was saying before, longer sub exposures vs more elapsed time... 20~30 minute subs will make a big difference to that image, as opposed to more 10 minute subs.. more 10 min subs might not get you much deeper, just give you smoother dim areas, where as 20~30 min subs will get you deeper, but you'll need at least 6 or 7 of them to good smooth signal...

What I, and many others found with the QHY8 is this, Whilst 10 minute subs will get a good image, going 20 minutes is the way to go if your setup can do it... Despite the risks of losing subs due to whatever unforeseen influence, I run the maximum sub duration I can on any occasion with any camera. If im capable of 10 min subs MAX, I run 10min subs. if the setup will do 30 minute subs (which mine does) I run 30 min subs.. SNR is the name of the game, and nothing accumulates signal like raw exposure time.