View Single Post
Old 20-06-2018, 08:50 AM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Yeah, I know Geoff, hard to define huh..? I guess what I mean is and at least to my eye, some areas just don't look as good in narrow-band (ie without any RGB) as they do in LRGB or even LHaRGB even if you have chanel mixed to approximate an RGB mix Some areas look better in Narrowband than they do in LRGB too, a good example is the fighting dragons and Running chicken areas, both look a little flacid in LRGB compared to SIIHaOIII. The Trifid region is another good example, decidedly drab, even kinda dirty in narrowband or any mix close to that, looks much better in LRGB.

There are many good examples of what I mean with the NGC 6559 region but just recently Steve Mohr posted an LRGB shot of the same field taken with the same scope and image scale as yours, so you can compare easily.

Hope that made sense

Mike
Thanks Mike. I did try the more trad Hubble palet but couldn’t get it to work well. Someone on another forum suggested adding a straight luminance. I will have a go at that when I get the data.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometcatcher View Post
Oh okay, cool. Interesting mix, I like it. I need to write this down somewhere for ron...
Hi Kevin. There is actually a scientific basis for this mix. See here
http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/synthetic_rgb_page.htm