View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 11:37 AM
Pepper (Steve)

thought id better update my goings on since I have a spare day with sick kids.

ive sorted my guiding issues I was having dramas with.
although having done a few things at once I cant really put my finger on what the fix was.
basically, I totally stripped my mount down. degreased the whole shebang and washed with distilled water.
that factory grease is as thick as axle grease and im sure the mount breathed a sigh of relief when I got rid of it.
all the metal on metal contact areas I sanded with some wet and dry paper, I did notice a couple of burrs here and there.
the big main bearing in the ra axis was replaced as it was showing a fair bit of slop. the end caged bearing was all good so it was left.
got some good quality lithium grease, greased it all up and reassembled.
the end ring nuts were carefully tightened so as not to make them too stiff.
all reassembled the mount is now super smooth to turn in every direction.
adjusted all the worm meshing and motor gear meshing.

another step I took was to not have both guide cam and capture cam on the usb3. chucked the guide cam on the usb2 side.

doing all this seems to have removed the funky dec jumps I was getting while guiding.

next step is to build a belt drive for the eq5 to get rid of the backlash generated by the spur gear setup.
got a 3d printer last week and have just finished printing the first of my gears.

bojan, if you read this id like to ask a few dumb questions about gear ratios if you don't mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (BF842788-EFC9-4C5C-9997-77E45C66CC6B.jpeg)
75.9 KB25 views

Last edited by Pepper; 11-11-2019 at 11:49 AM.