View Single Post
Old 20-05-2014, 02:51 PM
Astromelb

FLUORITE REFRACTOR 102mm F1200 PLANET KILLER

Thank's for the interest guys, unit has been sold.

BTW - next time I am "required" to sell at "your specified" prices - merely let me know which of you I "must" contact to set my prices, thanks

FOR SALE - FLUORITE REFRACTOR 102mm F1200 PLANET KILLER

I have yet another a new refractor on the way, and have very sadly decided to part with the last of my Barry Adcock custom hand crafted refractors

Details:

Design & hand craftsmanship: Barry Adcock - ex President of the ASV, and one of the most revered astronomy enthusiasts in Australia for decades, plus one of [if not the] most revered telescope hand craftsmen in Australia
Aperture: 102mm
Focal length: 1200mm
Lens: Fluorite Doublet Oil Spaced
Lens: Japanese O'Hara Glass Apochromatic
Lens: Hand crafted to an extra high accuracy of a minimum 1/20 wave PV

Tube: This is where my own design input came in. In concert with Barry, I applied further innovation in the design of Barry's systems, as I had a lot of experience with them having already four of his telescopes, this one was my fifth. This time I wanted something extra special. So I made a departure from Barry's standard practise of a hand painted tube, and got him to make his first powder coated telescope tube. The result - the surface finish is high gloss white powder coat - and as you would expect, it's superb

Focuser: This is again a departure from Barry's usual hand crafted R&P process, and instead I innovated. I got him to utilise a Carl Zeiss Jena R&P taken from a Zeiss microscope from the 1980's instead. The result - exceptional smoothness, as you would expect from a Zeiss R&P

Other features (all custom hand crafted by Barry Adcock):
* Sand cast aluminium hand crafted lens cell
* Sand cast aluminium hand crafted focuser rear cell
* Sand cast aluminium hand crafted 50mm finderscope rings cell (note finderscope is not included but I have available options to interested parties)
* Aluminium tube fully squared on lathe
* Internal multi knife edge baffles
* Collimation push/ pull screws on lens cell, for precise collimation capability
* Focuser 2 inch with 1.25 inch matching custom hand crafted adaptor

Performance:
* Apochromatic: This telescope has absolutely no false colour. Whilst I am aware as many of you that nearly all doublets struggle to achieve semi apo performance, this unit is totally different. Barry's exceptional design and crafting skills are most evident in this telescope. This unit's colour is as clean an image as my Carl Zeiss Jena APQ 100/1000, there is absolutely no false colour, even on the moon, it is totally and fully apochromatic - in the true sense of the term

This is a very rare opportunity for one of you to purchase what IMHO is one of Barry's major achievements. There are many of his telescopes around, sure - and I have owned five of them. This is the only one that was totally apo in performance, as whilst the others were exceptional telescopes, sure, they still had the faintest hint of colour on say the moon. This unit is different, it is the only one that I can state as a true apo

But this unit sits on an Eq in my lounge and simply is not going to be used. It needs someone that will cherish it

It is my last Adcock to go, when I view I use the Zeiss. This unit deserves better than sitting on an Eq in my lounge Plus I have another new telescope on the way is a custom hand crafted that Mark Turner of Moonraker (UK) and I are making, and I have designed, using a black gloss powdercoat tube with polished alu inserts, a FT 3.5 focuser, and a LZOS 123mm f6 OK4 Triplet, so you can see this unit being sold is understandable

Price $ 2,500

Packaging & shipment nationally or internationally at actual cost
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (105mm1200mmcaflhandcraftedrefractor.jpg)
110.3 KB235 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_3060 Mid Res.jpg)
46.9 KB162 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_3061 Mid Res.jpg)
48.5 KB130 views

Last edited by Astromelb; 22-05-2014 at 09:50 AM.