Thread: Joystick design
View Single Post
Old 15-01-2016, 05:26 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Gday Ken

What im doing now is probably very specific, as the joystick i have
( a Futuretronics BlackHawk Mark 2 ) appears to have custom pot reading, and only has 4 buttons.
The recent posts on the forum show how others have repurposed the guts of game controllers to make multi button boxes, but again, each one requires specific knowledge of the board being used and a large box.
Its not difficult, but each one needs to be looked at on its merits.
Thats why i was so impressed with the raw USB controller from pommyland.
http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index....roducts_id=204
Its a tiny footprint, and has "sticky" USB mapping, so swapping ports doesnt keep remapping it.
If you dont want to use potentiometers or any fancy wiring / top hat functionality, you could natively map up to 12 buttons by simply taking a wire from each switch to the board, and from all switches to ground.
Thats it
If you want the other functions, its also very simple, and as his unit uses accurate onboard ADC units to read the pots, none of the drivel i am going through at present is required.

I havent actually enquired as to if he is still in business, or what shipping to Oz is etc, but i have seen lots of posts on other forums re gamers etc making custom controls using his units, and all were happy.
Best of all, no windows drivers reqd to get it going.

Andrew

Interesting how many people who prefer buttons or joysticks came out of the woodwork after my original post re not really liking game controllers