View Single Post
Old 15-03-2024, 09:08 AM
gaseous (Patrick)

Finally got a clear hour or so to try out my new toy last night, and I must say, I think I'm hooked.The setup is very straight forward and within 5 minutes I was off. I of course forgot all the good advice provided by you peeps, but still seemed to get things working OK. My attempts at M42 are below/attached. One was 15 minutes with no filter, one was 7 minutes with the inbuilt filter. I know that one has twice as many frames as the other, but apart from a slight colour difference and minor tightening of the stars, there doesn't appear to be a massive difference between them - perhaps some skilled processing (which I don't possess) would bring out more detail in the filtered image. Both images are straight off the device with no processing of any kind. The third image is with some fairly heavy-handed messing about with the LightRoom app on my phone. I did notice that with the filter engaged, it took quite a bit longer to "enhance" each frame, and for some reason I got quite a few messages to the effect that there were star trails and the frame couldn't be kept. I noticed this particularly when trying for NGC 2244 (I was aiming for the rosette nebula but centred on the associated OC). In the space of 15 minutes, I reckon every third frame failed, and it was taking 20-30 seconds for the timer to clock up every 10 second frame. Weird.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (m42 no filter.jpg)
176.5 KB48 views
Click for full-size image (m42 filter.jpg)
197.1 KB39 views
Click for full-size image (m42 no filter LR.jpg)
198.3 KB59 views