View Single Post
Old 03-10-2020, 02:49 PM
Tulloch (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Hi Andrew, yes so far pretty happy with it. Got to get used to the new settings though re: gain and exposure. It was clear and by the look of it next few days might be overcast so I went for it regardless. Plus it's the long week-end. I can sleep in

And I think I might have moved the camera a little further too so the magnification is bigger now. Pixel size may be different to. Not sure. I need to check all this. Lots of testing that night.
Yep, the pixel size on the 462 is 2.9 microns, up from the 3.75 microns you were using before on the 120. Optimal focal ratio is now f/15, you may need to check your barlow

Quote:
Good question. Short answer I have no idea. I'll check. Good point on the file size. But for sure SER is raw and always mono right?
Same size whether it has a bayer pattern or straight LUM.
SER can be either 8 bit or 16 bit and can be either rgb (debayerd) or raw8 (undebayered). When you load it into AS!3, does it autodetect rgb (debayered) or rggb (undebyered)? If it's rgb then the file size is 3x larger than it should be.

Quote:
I was worried that at that magnification 3min would be enough to smear fine details so instead of stacking 3min of video maybe stack 3x1min then combine the 3 masters in WinJUPOS and derotate but if you say so 10min is heaps. I've got so many frames to chose from now. That particular SER was ~14GB 640x480 @ 251fps and 45325 frames total.
I normally image Jupiter for 3 minutes and it's larger and rotates every 9 hours. Mars is smaller and rotates every 24, so you should be able to image for 3x longer on Mars. AS!3 does an amazing job, much better than the older Registax for removing planetary rotation (see link below).
https://www.planetary-astronomy-and-...-time-jupiter/