View Single Post
Old 13-09-2020, 11:07 AM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

My humble competition winner

I was recently awarded first place in the Narrowband section of the annual AAQ astrophotography competition. Online voting by the members in these interesting times. Thanks to Rick Stephenson & Co for organising the online competition for 2020.

Western portion of the Veil Supernova Remnant captured at Leyburn (thanks to Mark & Deb for their ongoing hospitality) last new moon. AP130 with Quad TCC reducer and ASI1600M. Bicolour Narrowband of Ha & OIII. Processed in PI with some new guidance from Rogelio's new book. I received the PDF files a little while ago and was amongst the first 20 to receive a printed copy worldwide - must have gotten my order in early

This frame represents about a 10th of the entire Veil Nebula. I'm really not doing justice to the field of view achievable with the AP130 at f4.5 with the micro 4/3 sensor. I've been selling off telescopes this year to fund the purchase of a QHY600M with full frame CMOS sensor. With the bigger FOV, I'll be able to capture the entire Veil with a 2 panel mosaic - something on the imaging agenda for 2021.

Link to Astrobin
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_2710.jpg)
141.4 KB82 views