View Single Post
Old 25-02-2010, 10:47 AM
allan gould

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
The old addage of 2" per pixel is now a bit out modded. Current thinking is that over sampling is fine and under sampling is not great. You may find that you are slightly under sampling with that setup and it could cause some square stars. The problem lies with the focal length of the scope rather than the pixel size in the camera. It is worth a try though as this will present a nice wide field. If it does not work you can always sell the scope.

The ST8300 is great for galaxy work when combined with a longer focal length scope. I currently have my setup at 0.7" per pixel and this allows a great deal of sharpening before it becomes a problem.

With a slightly shorter FL you will find this sensor will perform well. Several chaps here are using 700 odd mm of FL and achieving really nice results.

Best of luck.
Paul
Thats interesting as a 10"SCT fl 2500 with a 0.63 converter gives a fl of 1575 and using the information on the SBig site (http://www.sbig.com/sbwhtmls/ST8300.htm) for the camera shows this is right in the sweet spot for this camera 0.74 arc sec/pixel and 0.89 arc sec/pixel without the converter (but binned 2x2). Thus if my reasoning is correct then the st8300 would be OK for this setup without too much oversampling? Comments would be appreciated as Im just getting my head around all of this.