View Single Post
Old 18-08-2013, 04:14 PM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

Lots of questions about LRGB Processing and imaging.

As I descend down the rabbit hole that is LRGB imaging I find that for every question answered another two take its place. I've gathered together a few questions and will add a few more as I go.

Sorry to load all of these in one post, but head is kinda spinning and I'm not sure where to begin. If anyone knows of a good book that details all of this I'm all ears.

Not expecting anyone to answer all the questions, but if you know an answer to even just one, I'd appreciate it

Questions re imaging

If I bin the RGB subs am I correct in quartering exposure time with relation to the duration of my Lum subs?

How do I calculate my sky glow?

What is the optimal FWHM I should looking for with my rig? Or is FWHM not dependant on equipment? I may have my wires crossed on this, I wouldn't be surprised.

My rig is listed below.

102mm f7 refractor/no reducer
SBIG STF8300m 3326 x 2504 pixels 5.4^2 microns
How do you work this out?
The reason I ask this question is that my average FWHM when imaging with my 5d mkii was between 3 and 4. With the STF8300 it's between 5 and 6.

How do I tell what colour my chip is least sensitive in?

Then, how do I know how much to increase that channels exposure time by?

I've read that the main aim of master calibration frames (darks, bias and flats) is statical average of noise, and that I should be combining at least 50 calibration frames or more as this will give a better statistical average. Would you concur with this point?
The article I refer to can be found here http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/theory.htm

Thanks
Sandy