View Single Post
Old 09-06-2020, 11:48 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
You can bin the 6200 and get 7.5nm pixels and a bit of extra sensitivity and still be at 15mp (the famous full frame KAI11000 sensor is 11mp).

Then again the 2400 could also be binned into a 6mp full frame nearly 12nm pixel sensor. That sounds like it would cost a fair bit of resolution though.

File size would be one large benefit. 24mp files are probably around 48mb whereas the 6200 they are 122mb. That would also slow down processing time a lot as well.

I'd love to see some comparable images highlighting the difference between 14 and 16 bit.

I remember seeing some comparisons between the 14bit Nikon D800 and 16bit medium format cameras. It was subtle. Better graduations between colours in the image.

Also I am wondering just how important this matching pixel size to optics and seeing conditions really is. I am not seeing much of an issue with the 183mm on my Honders at .43 arc secs per pixel. A bit harder to focus and more susceptible to seeing are the main problems. On the plus side the 20mp small sensor gives rounder stars as there are more pixels in each star than normal. It makes them look very round, rounder than normal.

Greg.
I get the maths part

If you compare a single image, there is that potential for differences in gradations, but when that is coupled with higher read noise (in a CCD with deep wells, for example), then the uncertainty of the obtained value of a pixel is increased.

But...the ADC width becomes largely irrelevant when you start stacking a bunch of subs, as you're averaging and increasing the precision along the way. You should end up with the same resulting numbers over the same period of time with either 14-bit or 16-bit. (let's imagine we had the same sensor but could change the ADC width...)

I'm sure either of them would make a great cooled, calibration-enabled, un-messed-with full frame camera with any camera lens or scope. I can't help thinking that for the extra US$300 I'd rather have the finer resolution, seeing as all the other stats seem to be otherwise comparable.

I'm loving the 183 on my f/4 newt...although living close to the ocean can show up a fair bit of variance within a night and from one night to another. Such is life