View Single Post
Old 17-08-2010, 10:33 PM
newastro (Robbo)

G'day felloAstronomers,
I have recently purchased a new EQ5 mount with GO-To and 6" tube. All skywatcher products. For the moment at least I'm not saying which business I bought the scope from, but I would like some advice as what I asked for wasn't what I got in the box.
I was originally after a 6-8" Dob which was skywatcher sw580 or 680. But my interests are in astro photography, so I ended up getting the go-to, no problems. So I got the mount and seperate tube. When I e-mailed the guy I kept refering to the sw580 as the tube I wanted with 10mm and 20mm eyepieces. with 1000mm focal length.
What I got was Black Diamond 750mm tube with 28mm wide angle lens.. When I asked if I got a mix up tube the guy said he was doing me a favour by taking out other 2 lenses and giving me the better Black Diamond tube.
Could someone tell me if the tube is better than sw580 or the same seeing as though they are both skywatcher. I was wanting 1000mm length. And I appreciate the wide angle lens for photograpghy but I have no zoom for normal viewing. As a matter of fact my 6x zoom digi camera got closer results than scope.
Sorry about lengthy piece but that's as good as I could explain the situation. I have a feeling the sw580 isn't available without dob mount but would have liked an explanation rather than something turn up that I didn't pay for. Please get back to me. Thanks for your time.
Newastro. ps replies can also e-mail to; rwironman@hotmail.comw