View Single Post
Old 25-04-2014, 07:46 PM
DaveO (David)
In Search of Photons

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
Quick Question
What was wrong with the system that Tony and Anna Luise had for many years and seemed to work so well.
Cheers
Ron

Like all things, time is usually unkind. As I recall, the site that existed previously was developed using an earlier generation of technology, was very time consuming to modify, and didn't provide some of the functionality that people (including the Committee) wanted. Managing the orders was a big job for AL & Tony as I recall when I was on the Committee. And I recall some real issues with the bits developed by the professional developer some years ago.

In the intervening time, a decision was apparently made to redevelop the site so that it would provide some of the functionality needed, using a more modern technology stack, and making it possible for more than one person to work with.

When the previous webmaster became unwell, I offered to take on the maintenance, as it was based upon technology that I already used for many other sites (VSS, AAQ et al). Unfortunately the nature of Astrofest makes the e-commerce tool used for orders challenging.

Various people have described their needs as easy. However when you combine various classes of accommodation (some single, others multiple), with pricing structures that have to include pensioners, adults and 2 levels of children, meals etc, and an earlybird discount period, the problem becomes harder. Especially when you also need to identify all people for insurance purposes and keep track of available beds.

Several people have suggested improvements on this thread, and I will be more than happy to investigate these going forward. However at this stage the site is functional and provides the necessary operations.

Alternatively if anybody else would like to take on the job of managing the site in their "spare time" instead of doing observing or research, I would be more than happy to discuss it with them.