View Single Post
Old 05-05-2016, 01:23 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Hi Rodney,

Here's a rough outline of my NB workflow.

Lum: I combine the initial linear masters to create a synthetic luminance. Depending on the data I might do that in a variety of ways. If there's little extra detail in the Oiii and Sii I might just use Ha as luminance. A couple of other options are to do a noise weighted integration of the Ha/Oiii/Sii masters (no rejection) or LinearFit Sii and Oiii to Ha then sum a third of each with PixelMath. Then I'll do decon, gradient removal, noise reduction, stretch, etc.

Colour: First gradient removal, if needed, then I remove most or all of the stars from the linear masters (you can skip this step but it solves the problem of magenta halos very neatly.) Then I'll do a noise reduction on each filter (typically very heavy on Oiii and Sii if they are noisier.) For the colour combine I typically LinearFit the Oiii and Sii to the Ha and then do a simple 1:1:1 colour combine. Next is a stretch and heavy chrominance noise reduction with ACDNR. Then I'll adjust the colour, often quite dramatically, mostly using the ColorMask script and Curves (R, G, B, a*, b*, Hue are all useful) and also boost the saturation if needed (controlled with a clipped Lum mask.)

Finally combine Lum and colour and do any final processing... Voila!

The ColorMask script is here: http://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php?topic=7751.0
I may be slightly biased but I reckon it is an indispensable tool for NB colour processing in PI

Cheers,
Rick.