View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 08:39 AM
orestis

Observation report 8/4/10 + sketches

Hi everyone,

It had been fairly cloudy lately but tonight was partly cloudy at first and then clear.

Just after sunset i took out the scope and it was nearly all cloudy but to the west there was an opening and i observed Venus but the view was terrible because of its low altitude.

It was beginning to get dark and i observed some old favourite double stars and the i observed Omega centauri which for this time was suprisingly Green.

I then thought i'll observe some of the objects on the april obs challenge list and so i did-

Ngc 5128-It was fairly bright and i could see the obvious dark lane bisecting it in 2 pieces.the bottom piece was brighter than the top and it also had a bright star embeded in it.

Coal Sack-As time progressed it became more and more obvious, it was a big dark oval patch below crux.i also did a sketch (attached).

Leo triplet-These galaxies were the showcase for tonight ,they are just magnificent.At first glance all i could see were the 2 main ones m66 and m65 but as time progressed i saw the third one NGC 3628,i was so thrilled to see it as last time i didn't get to see it as it was a half moon.
M66 apeared elongated with a bright condensed core,m65 was a bright streak of light with a bright core, i think it was brighter to the right of the core,NGC 3628 was a fairly bright thin streak of light with an elongated core ,elongated towards the arms.i also did a sketch (attached).

It was an amazing night ,
Thanks to all who had the patience to read my obs report
Clear skies to all Orestis
*scope used was a 130mm reflector
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (coal sack and crux.jpg)
50.5 KB29 views
Click for full-size image (Leo Triplet.JPG)
171.8 KB32 views