View Single Post
Old 17-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Ken,

I have been playing with the Astronomik CLS-CCD filter for a while now and whilst I am still experimenting with the camera settings and processing techniques I am encouraged by the results so far. I have attached an example image of the Crux/Carina area. Details of the image are:

- Canon 550D unmodified
- Astronomik CLS-CCD clip in filter
- 50mm F1.4 USM lens @ f4.0
- Taken from the ASNSW dark sky site at Wiruna NSW
- ISO800, 120 seconds
- Losmandy GM8 mount
- Manual guiding
- Quick processing in PS CS4 to adjust curves, colour balance, black point

I shoot both raw and large JPEG and the attached image is one JPEG so no stacking at this point. I have set the white balance to custom in the camera using an image taken of a grey card in on a clear sunny day. This is necessary to rectify the colour shift introduced by the filter. I am yet to master the stacking and processing and am experimenting with Image Plus.

Some of the stars in the image have orange halos which I believe to be caused by chromatic aberration which I have rectified somewhat by stopping the lens down but I think I may have to go down one more stop to eliminate it (unless there is a way to remove this in post processing which I am unaware of).

To me the results so far with the clip in CLS-CCD filter with an unmodified camera and encouraging as it helps in bringing out the Ha nebulosity.

Hope this helps,
Rodney
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (crux carina iso800 120s 50mm f4 800px.jpg)
181.2 KB221 views