View Single Post
Old 20-11-2019, 09:10 PM
GUS.K (Ivan)

8 inch Binocular telescope build.

Spent the last couple of nights trying out my new 8 inch binoscope build. I decided on an F5 focal ratio as I can get away without using coma correctors and the scope is relatively compact. Each side is a stand alone scope which is collimated as you would any newt, and then co collimated using vertical and horizontal adjustment knobs.I was surprised how easy it was to merge the image. Interpupil distance is set using two focusers and focusing is done with a pair of helical focusers. I'm using a pair of 24mm panoptics and 16mm T5 eyepieces so the system is set up for these. Had a chance to look at the LMC & SMC, 47 tuc, NGC 253 and the orion neb and was impressed with the quality of view. I have a BT100 scope, but an 8 inch bino is at another level, the view of the orion neb especially had the 3D effect and the amount of detail compared to mono was very noticeable. There will be a better primary cell with front collimation, focuser board, a two vane spider and baffles around the primary and secondary mirror which I'm working on at the moment, but the bino as is works better than I expected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_1529 (2).jpg)
108.7 KB152 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1530.jpg)
97.0 KB152 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1532.jpg)
74.5 KB126 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1531 (2).jpg)
123.7 KB146 views