View Single Post
Old 19-11-2015, 10:53 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairsam View Post
hi Chris,

with your re-greasing and worm mesh, do you have any play in RA at all when parked. its more obvious with an OTA than without.
what type of grease have you used?

I've tuned EQ6's and what I noticed was that with anything other than superlube, although the mesh seemed tight, it was in fact spongy with oscillation in RA as you're seeing.

Other thing you could do to identify is capture video of either a planet or the moon and watch the movement. that'll give you a better idea of tracking issues than a guide monitoring.

Finally, the guiding is it with an OAG or a guide scope?
have you examined the RA ring gear closely?
you've eliminated issues with the worm by swapping but how about the gear?

Cheers
Alistair
I'm using superlube. What do you mean by play? It doesn't seem to do anything different to what I've seen in the past. As in, it seems to be about the same amount of effort to move it as before.

Video - I might try that sometime. I think I'd have to switch back to the DSLR for that as I haven't got anything else suitable. Would that be ok for it?

Guiding is normally with an OAG. When I first started this though, I was redoing my PA for the mount in the observatory (no pier yet) after a dark site visit. I've been using the main camera (Sbig ST-8XE) for the testing as it gave greater star choice (wider field of view) than the OAG.

Although I've cleaned/greased the gears, I haven't examined them more closely yet.