View Single Post
Old 24-02-2018, 02:23 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Chris
You did well and you should be proud of your efforts.

I have had difficulty getting good polar align because I cant see the pole and unfortunately when I find it the mount needs a fix so insude it goes and I start over.
In an effort to carry on I have gone for 30 second captures and that works well rather than not getting anything done at all.
One night I dropped to 10 seconds to see what that would do...not bad really...so my method pending good and permanent polar align is to drop exposure time to keep the stars round...
As to a focuser mask.
In time get a decent one like Raymo suggests but you can make something that will be better than none.
This way.
Make a disk and simply put two holes in it on opposite sides each a little in from the outter egde.
For a camera lens holes of about a cm.
Out of focus the holes will be appart but when focused it will appear as one hole.
Maybe use a five cent piece to draw your holes...that may be too big but maybe not...
The point is you can make that in no time and at least it will be one step ahead.
But you are doing well this time next year you will be expaining how you get such grest images to newcomers because you really are off to a good start.

And print this one out..frame it..its special.
I wish I still had my first...

Alex