View Single Post
Old 16-02-2014, 10:04 AM
PRejto (Peter)

Perhaps a bit OT, but, the moment one uses the hipass filter calling something realistic is pretty far-fetched. Adding a lot of colour only compounds the issue in my view.

I've got a friend that imaged with a one-shot colour camera and very long exposures. His attitude was to do "nothing" to the image, arguing that the camera sensitivity to colour balance is set to give a faithful rendition to the human brain. Certainly there are things that will make the colours shift so adjusting the hue to match star colours ought to set it right. I'm sure there are arguments that can be made against this position; I'm just reporting what was said to me...

My own feeling is that looking at the night sky unaided one can see muted star colours. Yes, seeing an intensly coloured photo is initially attention grabbing but to me it is too far from realistic. I always prefer to see colour but not pushed too far. The argument reminds me of the dichotomy that often divides camps of classical musicians. There are those that "respect" the composer's score and the other camp that performs to the audience with a decided lack of respect for what the composer wrote. Sadly, in my view, it was more often than not the latter camp that took more money to the bank. Doesn't make it right though!

Peter