Thread: DIY guide scope
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2018, 02:01 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick1 View Post
I've read articles and watched vid's on you tube on how to set up a guide scope with all the required equipment and do it on the cheep.
I see that a 9x50 finder scope is the scope that is used. Would it be possible or feasible to use a 6x30, simply because I have one that is not being used and I would like to do something with it.
Mick, I suggest you do it once and do it right by using a 8/9x50mm finder. Besides the small aperture , the other issue you need to consider is attachment of the guide camera.
I made my own guidescope using a 50mm straight through finder. I unscrewed the rear "eyepiece" off, used a drimmel to slightly thin out the inner sides of the 50mm OTA tube.
This will now be just allow for a 2" - 1.25" self centering adapter to be pushed into the OTA (use a bit of silicon to make a waterproof fit). Bintel used to sell those adapters, they are like this https://www.telescope.com/Orion-2-to...r/p/102820.uts
This will allow you to use a 1.25" barreled guide camera like Loadestar or QHYII-5 (see photo below), then you are all set to go!
Cheers
Bo
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_4009.jpg)
193.1 KB76 views