View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 11:48 AM
taxman (Matt)

Hello Gary,

The pixel issue was because of using more square pixels in the new chip in the EX series of guide heads, so that's solved.

The issue with autoguiding remains - I had the mount polar aligned so I could take 60sec exposures at 355mm FL with 3.125um pixels without trailing.

I am trying to get it going with the included software, but strange things are happening, either an unhandled exception error (with no message) or find centre failed error. Also, every time I click the "train" button in the autoguiding menu, I either get very low (1 pixel in RA and DEC) or very high (>30 pixels in RA and DEC) values depending on whether I access the autoguiding menu directly or through the main camera menu. I have repeated this a number of times - 4 hours last night - and can't work out why differing menu paths would have such a huge effect.

The unhandled execption error has me thinking it may be an issue with the control board in my mount which I had repaired (under warranty) recently after the autoguiding socket fell out. It came back with a LOT of glue on the socket & contacts and I am concerned there might be a short somewhere.

I played with the software this morning and can see under the "Set Program Defaults" menu that the "Telescope Guiding" box at the top has "none" selected, so I will try that tonight. But I am not hopeful, as if that was the issue, I assume training would not have worked at all.

If I don't hear back from anyone, I might just buy another QHY5 and take a loss when selling it, but I am severely testing my wife's patience ("once I get this widget, I *promise* that's it" etc) so would prefer not to.

Let me know what you think, and thanks for replying. I was going to take this to PM, but thought there is so little info (that I could find) on getting the SXV head going, that this discussion might be useful for someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeal View Post
Matt. A while back I used the same unit, great setup too.
Try this for me please, in the daylight is fine.
Connect it all up, what software are you using.? Ooops, maybe that is the issue, PHD doesn't play with the SX Guide-head as far as I know, as it won't accept two SX cameras at once, IIRC.
Maybe come back to me with the setup you have and are using.
Gary