View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 08:33 PM
Stonius (Markus)

I saw it the other day. It's all fake. They shot it on a soundstage in Hollywood. :-D :-D :-D

Okay all kidding aside. I enjoyed it, though I don't know if Gosling's performance is true to the kind of man Armstrong was. I found him so reserved as to be almost numb. The film deals a lot with the stress the program placed on his family, so it's not necessarily a flag-waving patriotism movie - it's more about the man than the endeavour. But the sequences that take place on board the various craft (not giving anything away) are very realistic. If you've seen Damien Chazelle's other movies, you'll know the kind of director he is (Whiplash, La La Land). Even when there is spectacle, it's about the people.

There *is an American flag planted on the moon. You do see it, you just don't see the moment when he actually plants it, for the reasons stated above. It's more about one man's journey, than *mankind's journey, if that makes sense. The stuff that happened on the moon was more about what's going on in his head. When others have seen it I'd like to know whether any of that stuff actually happened or whether it's just good old poetic license to round out the character arcs.

Markus