Thread: Processing
View Single Post
Old 21-10-2017, 05:24 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

I think I will clarify my comments earlier. I found DSS was not producing results I wanted when used for RGB or NB work on a mono camera. Just couldn't get it to register all the subs well so when I combined them the star colours didn't line up. Despite asking a few times on this forum and others, couldn't get a clear answer so I tried it in PI, bingo! Works very well simply following the guidelines in Warrens book. Having an excellent program with good documentation in that book has been a godsend for me after trying to use several programs such as Images Plus, Nebulosity etc with their disjointed online tutorials that make it really hard to simply follow a procedure to get a result. Ended up with masters that I could import into PS and then process. Since then I have done further PI processing of the masters, mainly using Multi Scale Linear Transform to do some noise reduction. I am still struggling to use PI to get good results beyond that, so I am then saving the .tifs and using PS.
Not saying that is the best way, but for a raw beginner, I get results that I am pleased with.

Malcolm
PS: And PI is not that expensive when you have $15000 of gear sitting in the back yard, a few extra $$ to get the images processed is not really a big deal IMHO