View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 04:02 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosh View Post
So i definately need a small scope to do a polar alignment? I can't use a polarscope built in to the mount? If i Had to maybe an ED80 or something.
You can use the polarscope and it will get you fairly close but for accurate alignment you're best off drift aligning using a scope.
An ED80 is perfect and later you'll be able to use it to image through as well.
But to start with certainly just using the polarscope to align will do for widefield shots through your DSLR and lens.
Quote:
Do you happen to know the maximum exposure time for the 450D and how do you control that camera? Does it have included software for remote control or via the programs you mentioned below?
On it's own the camera can do 30 sec max.
If you put it in Bulb/Manual mode it will expose as long as the cable release is held down. This is a cable you connect to the camera to operate the shutter for long exposures.
The new cameras have software included which allows you to focus and control the camera exposure.
The camera is conected to your laptop via USB.

The older models don't so you'll need third party software like the ones I linked to, for control and/or focus.

Quote:
To begin with, i just want to do rough alignments and experiment with whatever results i get, then upgrade as i can afford to but i don't want to have to rush out and buy another camera anytime soon. That's also why i want the SW EQ6 GT mount.
Can i get some nice pics just using the lens and maybe a small refractor?

I hope i doesn't sound like i'm bombarding you with questions!
You certainly can get very nice images with this sort of setup and it's highly recommended you start off this way and then add equipment as your skills progress.

Feel free to ask anything you need advice on imaging, there's a lot of people on here that have gone through the same learning experience.