View Single Post
Old 29-08-2012, 10:11 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

Newtonian DSLR Prime Focus

The other night when I tried to take a photo of the moon in prime focus with my DSLR I could not achieve focus. I was thinking that there may be something I am not doing correctly so after doing some research online and trying to find the problem I found a video online where they remove the 2" eyepiece section and they said you should be able to achieve prime focus.

Today I went out and attempted this. Positioned the telescope at some distant trees and did what the video said. Prime focus did not work.

Over the past few days I been looking up the problem on iceinspace, other forums, websites, videos, etc. Many others have had the same problem and it all comes down to the design of the telescope. Here are the only solutions to correct the issue that I have learnt.
- Purchase a low profile focuser (way too expensive and not worth it)
- Buy an adapter that will allow eyepiece projection
- Move the primary mirror further up the tube
- Replace the primary mirror screws and springs with longer ones which will place it higher in the tube

The only time I could achieve prime focus was today when I was playing around with the scope outside. I removed the 2" eyepiece section, then there was another bit of metal I removed. I then removed the EOS t-ring and placed the camera to the telescope and it was in focus! Problem was, there was no adapter or anything left.

When I purchased my scope about 10 months ago I did not plan to do astrophotography. I did some afocal stuff up but now that I bought a DSLR about a month ago I do want to do astro imaging with the DSLR (as well as photography on the side). I have the necessary adapters for the DSLR as well.

After reading the solutions I am now more confused than ever on what I should do and thought I should ask here.

The last thing I want to do is drill holes and play around with the mirror of the scope. I want to keep the DSLR (since i will make use out of it other than astro imaging) but I was hoping I could at least get prime focus. I do not want to spend heaps more money either.

I was thinking of buying a webcam, the Microsoft Lifecam HD-3000 $30, modding it and just do some basic planetary shots at prime focus.

I have had a look at the eyepiece projection method and seen some pictures which have come out very nicely. What are your thoughts on the eyepiece projection method? The cheapest one I can find is this one at just under $40 U.S..
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-25-T-T2...ht_4560wt_1163

To do prime focus am I better off buying a cheap webcam and modding it (would the HD-3000 be able to be moddified?) or buying that adapter to do eyepiece projection?

Any help and advice would be appreciated!

Thanks