View Single Post
Old 08-11-2007, 01:04 AM
Rob_K

Observation Report, 7 November 2007

Something a little different this time. We had our monthly get-together tonight at the Porepunkah airstrip, but this time I was still knocked about a bit with the effects of a lingering cold and decided not to stay long.

Hence I only took my battered old 12x50 Hanimex binoculars along. Observing was between 9pm and 10:15pm, with excellent transparency but poor seeing. Cruised all around the skies, and some of the brighter objects observed included:

M31 Andromeda Galaxy – ideally suited to binoculars, and once again it did not disappoint. Nucleus bright, with faint extensions visible for some distance each side. Easy naked-eye on the night.

NGC 253 in Sculptor – Quite a large bright elliptical haze. Near the zenith, and quite difficult to view with comfort (ow, my neck!).

NGC55 – Pretty much at the zenith. This galaxy is in Sculptor, but not that far from Ankaa in Phoenix. A little fainter than NGC 253, but easily visible in binoculars. Roughly cigar-shaped, but lack of symmetry just noticeable with sustained viewing (& acute neck pain - too much dew to lie on my back ).

M22 – Bright globular in Sagittarius, and a great binocular object! Relatively large, and showed central condensation.

NGC104 (47Tuc) – it’s all been said before, magnificent! Very noticeable central condensation.

NGC2070, Tarantula Nebula in LMC – not spectacular in binoculars, but easily visible as a small bright blob. The LMC & SMC themselves look fantastic through binoculars, because of the nice wide FOV!

M8, Lagoon Nebula – small with faintest nebulosity visible, but nothing like a low-power eyepiece view in a telescope!

M7, open cluster in Scorpius – another great binocular target, large and crammed with bright stars.

M45, The Pleiades – just rising above the hills to the north-east as I was preparing to go home, so had to have a look. Binoculars is the only way to view this marvel, IMO. Just so bright and large!

M42, Great Nebula in Orion – sorry folks, was on my way home before this one rose above the hills!

Cheers -