View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Calibos (Keith)

Chris,

I figured out something today that made me think of your Skyscout comment above.

You may well have already tried out the iPhones Voiceover functionality, where the phone can read out text in a decent quality synthesised voice. This can be switched on by going to General Settings, Accessibilty. The problem was that we all thought that there was only the one menu item relating to it. ie. ON/OFF. With it turned on, it changes the whole UI of the Phone. It was great how it could read out the text descriptions of objects within SkyVoyager but unfortunate that it made the rest of the App very hard to use. Having to double tap everything and multitouch/touch scroll disabled etc ie. it seemed to be a 'Global' setting.

Well, I just stumbled upon the fact that at the bottom of the menu page there is a setting called 'Triple-Click Home'. You can change this to 'Toggle Home'. In other words with a triple click of the Home button you can turn the VoiceOVer On/Off within parts of APPs.

Now you can use SkyVoyager normally. CLick on the info for an object, click on the Object description button. Triple Click Home to turn on Voiceover, tap the text to start it reading and when finished Triple click Home to turn it back off.

Now you can 'Listen' to an object description while looking through the eyepiece, kinda like a skyscout.