View Single Post
Old 05-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Argo Navis controlled via iPhone/SkyFi success

Hi all

Thanks to both Gary Kopff from Wildcard Innovations and Tim Benedictus from CarinaSoft for their valuable support and help, I now have my scope set up such that I can control my Argo's PUSHTO guide angles from my iPhone. The communication is bilateral, which is fantastic. I can point the iPhone at an object in the sky (with its accelerometer, compass and GPS) and the Voyager software will tell the Argo via the 802.11 private wireless network on my SkiFi where I have to PUSHTO to get to it. As I point the scope at a target, I can also watch the direction it's pointing to on my iPhone in real time via the screen reticle as I move the scope. This is brilliant for me as I can ditch the large finderscope which upsets my balance when I have the cameras attached. Now I'm not flying blind! Also, 802.11 is so much better than some of the older BluTooth-enabled systems it's not funny. Outdoors range is fantastic.

For public nights it's also going to be fantastic as I can have people ask "what's that?", pointing up, and I can point the iPhone at it, identify the object and then have the scope ready to PUSHTO straight there. Wonderful!

Once again - thanks Gary and Tim!!!

Here's the setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20100105-DSC_2249-Edit.jpg)
188.5 KB266 views

Last edited by Omaroo; 05-01-2010 at 04:05 PM.