View Single Post
Old 10-10-2020, 11:55 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Late to the Planetary Imaging game...

I've made some half-baked efforts to do some planetary imaging over the years, but I never seem to get all the pieces together.

Time to go fully baked.

Aim: To get decent images of the planets, e.g.: Mars, Jupiter and Saturn

For now, I'd like to either use my RC10 or Sharpstar 107PH scope. I have various barlows available for use, including a Baader FFC.

I have 2 cameras currently available, both mono. ASI1600 and a guide cam (usb 2, I think?) - ASI174

Now for the questions.

1. I've been thinking of getting a colour camera specifically for this purpose, as these targets are fairly bright and I think it would make image processing easier overall. However, would I be better off sticking with mono + filters instead? Either way, what camera(s) should I look at for my setup?

2. Setting it up. This is probably where I'm the most confused. Do I set up the image train like I would for deep space imaging, or should I be taking the image through eyepiece projection?

3. Capturing. I've used FireCapture in the past. Is this still worthwhile or should I use something different? SharpCap?

4. Processing. I've played with a few things, including AutoStakkert. What's the good choice(s) these days?

Thanks for any pointers.