View Single Post
Old 28-08-2020, 11:35 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by appiice View Post
Sorry Martin but I have to call you out about moisture issues and concrete.

If there were moisture " issues " with concrete why is it used so much in residential ( and other types ) of construction.

If it has a moisture barrier in place and isn't subject to water runoff, there are no problems with moisture in concrete slabs.

If you have experienced moisture issues then most likely the person/s doing the work did not understand what is needed, perhaps they watched to many episodes of The Block?

I have a 3m dome, the timber floor level is about 800mm above a concrte slab that is dry, it has a moisture barrier installed as well has no surface water run off.

Ed
Ed

In regard to concrete slabs for small observatories I did comment by saying they “can” cause moisture issues not always “do” cause moisture issues
Factors that affect moisture in ( 75mm to 90mm thick ) backyard slabs typical of what you would pour for a small dome are -
1/ Soil type
2/ slope of land
3/ height of water table
4/ amount of rainfall or annum
5/ drainage
6/ location eg low lying area or up high on a hilly property
7/ whether it has a water proof plastic membrane under neath
8/ Near any retaining walls
9/ Neighbours run off
10/ And the list goes on and on

My Dome will be located 200m from the beach on the south coast NSW which generally has higher rainfall than west of the divide. My drainage is not that good so I’m opting for a raised timber hardwood deck about 400mm off ground level with 4x 200mm diameter concrete piers for the 3 tripod legs and 1 central for future pier mount. The 4 concrete piers will finish 5mm below the deck level. 60mm holes will be drilled through the deck centrally above each pier for the tripod feet. The Dome floor will be 18mm thick 300 x 300 interlocked poly tiles and rubber backed ribbed nylon dark grey carpet laid wall to wall and cut in

Cheers