View Single Post
Old 15-07-2015, 12:09 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Hi - My two cents worth - if the SW100ED you have is the old GOLD Pro model hang on to it and use that one for a starter - it is the second telescope I bought, even though it is slow at f9 it is still a very good imaging scope for the price with good optics and a nice flat field.
I think the only reason I'd get rid of this one is if I upgraded with another refractors. As much as I love my LX200 for visual work, it has nothing on that little ED when it comes to Luna viewing.

Quote:
What image scale do you want, as that will dictate focal length
Thought I'd mentioned that but I guess I didn't, that's what I get for starting a thread moments before going to bed! I am aiming for 1-1.4 arcsec/pix. At that scale it works well when seeing isn't fantastic and leaves some wiggle room for drizzling out some finer details when seeing is good.

Thinking about it this morning id either end up getting a 8300 sensor (5.4 micron) or for a shorter refractor, something along the lines of an Atik 460 (4.54 micron) so there is a bit of overlap in FL but ultimately, 670 - 1150 mm.

At the moment I am not too fussed with the pixel scale I get with the ST2000XM as I am looking at upgrading in the future.