View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 11:45 AM
pgc hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
Thanks Sab
NGC 1977 is listed as both emission on reflection in my data (Uranometria 2000 Deep Sky Field Guide) so the Neb filter definately had an effect. Give it a try and see what you think!
Tried for about 10 mins to get the dark featue in NGC 1999, varied the power, tried with and without barlow, tried the neb filter. Even tried sitting still for a few minutes breathing deeply to increase oxygen flow to my brain! Still couldn't see it, about the only thing I didn't try was an OIII filter, but that shouldn't work so didn't bother.

Malcolm
I'll be sure to give the filters on NGC 1977 a go! Assuming Orion doesn't leave the evening sky by the next clear moonless night Maybe Les can chime in with some more data?

From your location, NGC1999's dark feature should be pretty easy. What's your highest magnification you tried on NGC 1999? There are sketches of the object and the observers all seem to use well over 300x, some as high as 600x. Size is given as 2'x2' on NGC IC project, so quite small (and the dark feature will be much smaller yet) so I think some high mag is in order.