View Single Post
Old 26-04-2009, 06:16 AM
Davekyn (David)
Loves Staring Into Space!

Nicely done! I too tied with my 12" before heading out of town. I could make out NGC5128 up above Omega Centauri, but to be fair it was only a smudge. Good enogh to let me know it can be done from town as you say. I remember thinking, boy this smudge looks bigger that M66&65, but maybe a little softer?...I was bewildered by it when viewed out of town-re my recent Obs post?
NGC4945...good work LB!...I couldn't pull that one off. Must be the contrast as I was positve about it's location. I love the star pattern that surrounds that galaxy! So far it's my favourite. I am going to try and rig up a light shield on the front of my Dob and maybe mod an inside focuser baffle set to the exact focus for some of those galaxies. (I think I got that issue of Australian Sky & Telescope some where.

I would love to try the dark sky out around Woodenbong NSW.(Pop 600) Was brought up round that way...use to do our shopping in Lismore. Not a bad town, but I reackon it's got a few thousand more lights since 27 years ago when I was there....... Still, I can't talk being stuck in Toowoomba...I believe it,a worse here...none the less...after hearing you do well, I'm going to keep trying. Later man.
Dave.