Thread: Scope's-R-us
View Single Post
Old 20-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

been mulling over some of the ideas this thread has produced, i think the concencus seems to be against the remote imaging for a competition, and for the time being that will probably end up being the way it will be ruled in a separate class.

consider though how change over the years has come to the astroimaging community

1. once upon a time time was spent learning the constellations and the sky- today we have goto.
2. polar alignment was once a manual thing- now 2 star alignments and computer routines have eased that somewhat.
3. guiding- thank goodness for autoguiding, no more staring down an eyepeice in the cold for hours at a time.
4. ccd cameras, super efficient chips so much better than film and the computer enhancing (the curse of photoshop)
5. focusing- crikeys imagine using film and guestimating the sweet spot through the finder (a few here remember that all to well) no i think we will download it apply a computer routine to analyse it.

this remote imaging is just the winds of change sweeping through once again, some will embrace it some will not, only time will tell. i suspect it will gain popularity, and who knows maybee oneday 2020 perhaps, where a catagory will be created just for those who bother to own their own equipment, whilst the majority of serious imagers use this kind of gear.

i watched the bonus footage on the Sky at night magazine last month, and Arthur C Clarke filmed in the 60's, suggested one day a brain surgeon could remotely perform an operation from London on a patient in New Zealand..... who would have thought it possible then. perhaps we will be remotely accessing small scopes in orbit and imaging in infra red, or gamma rays., or placed on the other side of the moon so on those moonlit nights we can continue, one things for sure change will occur.