View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 01:32 PM
pgc hunter

Thanks all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
Fantastic report Sab, many thanks. I also very much enjoyed the star descriptions around the objects. One day when I get good enough, I would like to include the surrounding stars in my reports as I feel it really completes the journey. Do you estimate the magnitude yourself or use a book?

As for the H/head, you got to be very happy with what you "saw" from your own backyard at that. I leave that one for the more experienced (for the time being). Elusive, mysterious little thing.
I go on Wikisky to find magnitudes, but Aladdin is more accurate for that purpose. Unfortunately, Aladdin nowadays always seems to be spitting messages at me that I don't have enough memory on my ultra crap craputer so it takes decades to load up Never had this problem before but apparently they upgraded, making it useless in the process

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
Fantastic as always Sab and well done on the HH. Had a try the other night when I was able to get the Flame and Running Man, but thenk the H Beta filter may the the needed accessory, or better eyes, or bigger scope or darker site...........??

Enjoyed the read, glads you are getting out!

Malcolm
I recommend using the H-beta, it'll make your job much easier. I can't see any sign of it without the H-beta. From your location you'll be able to see it with a H-beta equipped 12", but it is seriously faint/low contrast, think of comparing satin black and flat black paint, and get a good chart so you know exactly where it is relative to the nearby stars. btw, Looks like no observing until months end with all this cloud and moonage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Some great observations there Sab. Very impressed that you got the Horse in light polluted area with 12" scope. And as always, amazing what you can see in some faint galaxies. I'm intrigued that NGC2442 is better for you than 1365.
From a light polluted locale, NGC 1365 is the biggest dissappointment! All I can see is a low surface brightness, non-descript blob of fluff, but clearly skies are critical in its observation as Orestis showed in his report with his 5". NGC 2442 should be a lovely target from dark skies. It appears to have a higher surface brightness bar than NGC 1365.

Quote:
Good question - I often wonder this. And how do people estimate size - I find that I'm very hit and miss with this.
That's one thing I always wondered aswell. Maybe they use a reticle or one of those micrometer eyepieces, or simply estimate based on the size of the TFOV?