View Single Post
Old 20-11-2010, 11:40 PM
pgc hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
Sab, what a fabulous report! Also loved your sketch of Ganymede. It was also great to get that report on the very apparent levels of seeing conditions you experienced. And I see you pulled nearly an all nighter taking advantage of the conditions. Thank you for sharing.

I hope your toe feels better. I'm sure that dose of photons you got in all those many hours of observing would have made you feel better.
Thanks Suzy! That session was not only one of the best I had, but a real learning experience. I've found that seeing greatly effects globulars at least, so the myth that seeing doesnt matter for DSOs is a bunch of old codgewollop, the difference in sharpness at high magnification as the seeing changed was night and day, ... it gave me an opportunity to see first hand the brutal effects of very good vs average seeing!

The seeing was really only great until about midnight, the rest of the time was waiting for the summer planetaries to rise, and some good views were had there. Last time I had seeing like this was about half a year ago. ANd not everyday seeing is good enough to spot detail on Ganymede that's for sure! Tried for it again tonight, seeing was superb just after sundown with Jupiter showing nice detail at 308x but turned to custard in a hurry so no Ganymede obs. But got to see a transit of Io which was pretty sweet especially as the moon ingressed. Did a sketch of Jupiter aswell which I 'll post later One thing I regret is not sketching Jupiter last night, because it was a crapload better!

Last edited by pgc hunter; 20-11-2010 at 11:54 PM.