View Single Post
Old 20-12-2011, 11:26 PM
frankly1 (Frank)

Figuring it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopticals View Post
I think you have answered your own question in that if you can do the moon at 840x that equates to better than 49x per inch of aperture.I would definitely go ahead with the coating. If I can figure my current mirrors (22" and 25" float glass 19mm thick) to do even 30x to the inch I would be well pleased. I also have almost completed my dob structure and hope to test the first of my uncoated mirrors (22") sometime after the new year, when we get a little more night down under. Im doing my figuring outside and the temps are not to my liking (too warm).I like to work in cooler temps (around 10-15deg C with no sun), so may have to wait a month or so to fine tune the final figure.
thank you very much for your reply Stephan as I hadn't actually realised it was at that level of mag. I have read that it if there is any slight problem it looks really bad after coating , so I am not confident. Is the moon a real test or should it always be something more subtle such as Jupiter? Also I have looked around for a cheap mirror coater and as I can't find one I guess the next thing is to build my own coater. I have already priced the fabrication of a chamber and it seems to be about the same price as getting one good coating done. So another project!! As this is my first time on these Ice in Space thread things (or any others), is there a mirror making thread? Hoping to hear from you and thank you again, cheers Frank