View Single Post
Old 01-10-2007, 11:12 AM
TV John
Lights out, look up!

Hi Nimsie and welcome to the world of astronomy.

I have a SW500C which is the 'shorty' version of the SW500 and probably loses a little quality in comparison due to extra internal reflecting but it fits under the bed of the caravan well.

At a guess the DSLR will probably give you reasonable results for moon and planets but long exposure times require tracking accuracy that the budget mounts don't have. Consider the web-cam option as this means you can take a series of short exposures then align and stack them via freely available software which gives you a reasonable resolution. The attached pics were taken after having my scope for a matter of weeks - you'll see better shots but I was happy as a newbie. I use a Celestron NexImage (A$136 delivered from US ebay), I guess the next step is to split the bitmaps into each colour channel to process separately but I haven't got to that stage yet! Have a look in articles - very helpful.

I agree with Iceman that astrophotography is time consuming and you'll find you can spend nights looking at a laptop screen and never taking the time to just look through your scopes eyepiece. I also bought a second hand 8" Dob just so I could get back to the basics of scanning the sky and going 'wow!'.

Have fun with it,

Cheers

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (jupiter_saturn_print.jpg)
49.2 KB67 views
Click for full-size image (Jupiter_Europa_05.jpg)
67.3 KB66 views
Click for full-size image (Plato_MAlps_MJura_Crayford.jpg)
110.0 KB72 views