Thread: DSLR Mod
View Single Post
Old 22-09-2017, 06:58 PM
NorthernLight (Max)
Settled

Hi Stefan,

Modification of DSLR's can mean a lot of things. I had my 450D "modded" by Peter Tan in Honkong (mailed it, received it-no issues, good price).
The mod I requested was a change of the IR cut filter not a removal. I now have a Baader IR filter in place of the Canon filter. The Baader lets all Halpha spectrum pass but keeps longer wavelengths out. This means the camera still autofocuses correctly and with the aid of a Astronomik OWB filter I can use it for daytime without having to do custom white balance all the time. To me this was a no brainer as I love my DSLR and just wanted more versatility instead of having a "dedicated" astrocam (useless for anything else).
Modifications such as a complete removal of the IR cut filter or maybe even the antialiasing filter will render your DSLR pretty much useless for daytime photography.
I often think about going cooled mono but I am a backyard enthusiast without observatory. I need an hour to put everything together on the lawn and spend considerable time pol aligning, framing and finding the right exposure times. What is left of the night between 45deg east and 45west has to count in subexposures (suburban light pollution and hedges, house limit view to horizon). Going mono with filters means even less data that contributes to a full colour image and more hassle (time behind the screen) to combine.
A Baader mod opens up the sensor to a whole new game: CLS and UHC clip in filters work with perfect out of the box white balance, hydrogen nebulae show much more detail and stuff just appears where before there was just a hint of something (Barnards Loop i.e.). If you are not sure about moddding a DSLR, have a similar working environment and like to keep the camera usable for daytime, then have it Baader modded and play for a few more years ��.
If you have a more permanent setup and a few more dollars to spend - go ballistic (cooled, mono, filter wheel, on chip guiding)!!!

Cheers,