View Single Post
Old 24-03-2016, 07:55 PM
thegableguy (Chris)

Stunning shot of McNaught!! I was floating around on a cruise ship somewhere, as I so often was at the time, which meant I didn't even know about and wouldn't have been able to see if it even if I had. Hopefully something similarly wonderful will come by soon now that I'm (almost) ready for it...

Just wanted to post a photo from my D750 at ISO 25,600. I understand that ISO invariance doesn't necessarily mean low noise - it's simply a different signal path which lends itself to underexposing. Nevertheless, this is an amazingly low-noise sensor. Whether or not that's because of ISO invariance is for people who care more than I do to decide!

Regarding resolution, I respectfully disagree. Resolution has advanced at pretty much the same pace as noise reduction. I loved our wonderful old Nikon D700s at 12MP, superb cameras... until we got a bunch of clients' prints from our first 24MP camera. For large prints there's no denying 24MP is much, much better. We upgraded both our D700s as soon as we received the first print. Newer sensors have better resolution AND lower noise. It's not a trade-off, as is so often suggested. The top DSLRs of ten years ago could only dream of the low-light performance the humble D3300 or 1200D manage these days - and they've tripled the resolution at the same time.

I love living in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSC_3574.jpg)
65.6 KB25 views