View Single Post
Old 25-08-2015, 10:07 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRejto View Post
I've tried to use deconvolution to tighten up blue but the results are not very satisfying and I've given that up. But, recently on a different forum someone posted that the answer to blue bloat is just the opposite; namely one should "convolve" red and green to match blue. I have not tried this but I think it actually might work. I think shrinking the blue may actually remove the part of the blue (the halo) that actually shows and you don't end up with blue being better. But, perhaps convolving (enlarging??) red and green might mean the halo isn't so prominent and blends with the larger FWHM. Anyone ever tried this?

Peter
Hi Peter. convolution is the process used in simple filters - Gaussian blur for example is a convolution filter that will expand the FWHM in much the same way as seeing, so should be best if the channel mismatch is due to seeing variations. It works, but spreads the colour and reduces saturation on small regions such as Ha spots in a galaxy. What did you find went wrong with deconvolution? - applied to linear data, it should provide tighter stars of about the right profile.

for interest, tried morphological erosion to reduce blue stars with horrible results (a few green stars for example) - deconvolution on linear data was much better

Last edited by Shiraz; 26-08-2015 at 08:47 AM.