View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 03:55 PM
jase (Jason)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvj View Post
Hi Gang,

I just joined this forum today and this post caught my eye.

I've been contact with maker's of the RH200 and hope to get a model to test soon. It is apparent by the product shipment delays that they are working hard to iron out all the bugs in this fast system. Several items about the OTA have been redesigned from the original implementation I saw last at last year's AIC conference here in California.

Based on what they have shown so far, the NGC7000 image is far from perfect and does not come close to the resolution and roundness of stars I've seen in my FSQ images of the same object. What is attrative about this scope is the light gathering and wide field in an extremely compact package. How it will cover a 16803 array remains to be seen. The RH200 image circle is not that large.

I really wanted to put one of the RH200's into the Coonabarabran remote observatory, but for now, the FSQ is still on the top of the heap when it comes to portability and high quality imaging. I would also say that following the FSQ, the AP 155 EDIF with the flat field reducer just could be the ultimate astrograph.

cheers,

jg

John,

A warm welcome to this forum. Your hydrogen alpha imagery is wonderful in every respect.

You present an interesting point of view re: FSQ/AP155. I saw the prototype RH200 at AIC a couple of years ago, hence was under the impression that sufficient testing time would have been done by now. Do you have any specific information you can share in relation to the bugs that you're aware of?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometGuy View Post
Oh and I guess Bert won't want spikes on his stars, especially if he is lining up frames in mosaics.
Diffraction spikes and mosaics only become an issue when you are rotating the entire OTA. Given an OTA is securely fastened to the mount, rotation it is near impossible. Having performed several mosaics with an RC, where I needed to rotate the camera to find a guide star per mosaic panel to pick off with an OAG, I can confirm that diffraction spikes do not present a challenge. You can rotate the camera to any position angle and achieve perfectly uniform diffraction spikes across the panels.