Thread: Hartung's
View Single Post
Old 23-01-2019, 12:52 PM
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

Hartung's

Shown is my current book collection of Hartung's "Astronomical Objects for Southern Telescopes". The first pic shows the first 1968 editions, the one on the left I recall buying from a second hand bookshop in George St, Sydney in 1969 and was published by Melbourne University Press. The one next to it was purchased sometime later mainly because it was published by Cambridge University Press in 1968 and is identical to the Australian version except that it was printed in England.

The second pic shows the 1984 and 1987 softcover versions both published by MUP. Both versions have only a small number of black and white plates unlike the first edition. The third pic shows the 1995 hardback 2nd edition which is really the best edition and features a fair number of colour plates plus the original black and whites. The one next to it is the re-issued 1995 2nd edition which is a softcover and is slightly smaller than the hardback version. There are no colour plates for whatever reason. What is interesting or at least odd about this latest edition is that it does not show the publication date i.e. 2016/2017. This means that if you are selling or buying this edition one would think it was printed in 1995, an oversight by the publishers I suppose.

I hope this topic is of interest particularly if you are looking for copies of Hartung's excellent reference books.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Hartung's - 1.jpg)
194.1 KB88 views
Click for full-size image (Hartung's - 2.jpg)
194.8 KB84 views
Click for full-size image (Hartung's - 3.jpg)
200.8 KB91 views
Click for full-size image (Hartung's - 4.jpg)
200.9 KB87 views