View Single Post
Old 18-01-2016, 05:32 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Hi Colin. The only reasons to consider buying an EQ8 are that they work very well and don't cost anywhere near as much as other high capacity mounts.

However:
- you will probably not get to "love" the mount - grudging respect maybe, but there is nothing endearing about them
- there is no major pride of ownership - the EQ8 has no bling, polish, exotic name or shiny red anodising, just solid high precision components hidden under a mixed bag of mainly black finishes, a screen print SW logo and a bit of surface rust
- expect to deal with backlash - mine needs to be run with an unbalanced load to produce round stars (this also means that it cannot be fully automated)
- expect to get a hernia if you use it as a mobile mount - these things are big and heavy
- the low res incremental encoders are useless for imaging - but it does have homing index points for automatic reset of the ring counters though
- from my experience, Skywatcher is completely uninterested in their existing customers and local support looks to be very limited - a "you bought it, your problem" type of approach, so you will be relying on other users for advice on how to tune and maintain the mount and probably on a European vendor for any bits that you might need.

Having said all that, I do not regret getting an EQ8. I recently looked at upgrading, but couldn't really see any way that a more expensive mount would give better results. Mine has genuine 7 arcsec p-p PE, runs all night without supervision under EQMOD/SGpro, doesn't notice a 20+kg load and guides within the seeing (in an ROR obs) in "sea breezes" up to 25kts.

all the best with your choice

Last edited by Shiraz; 19-01-2016 at 11:19 AM.