View Single Post
Old 13-01-2016, 07:33 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRejto View Post
Colin,

My vote would be for a Bisque mount. Is the MX+ too much? Down the road you might appreciate the payload ability and even if you stay lighter you are even better off being much further from the max. I think you already are quite familiar with TSX and all it offers so the SB product does make sense.

It's just my opinion and maybe wrong since I've never used a direct drive mount, but I think claims of unguided ease are not exactly accurate. True, you don't need to worry about PEC, but consider what Protrack does that direct drive cannot. It cannot correct for predictable atmospheric refraction or flex changes in the optical system. Maybe I don't understand how direct drive systems integrate with software to compensate for these errors, but it may be worth questioning before assuming you can go unguided without some struggle.

Good luck with your choice!

Peter
I hadn't really considered it as I figured the MyT would be more than enough Always something else to consider.
What the ASA mounts have is absolute encoders and a software package (not in the same league as TSX) that allows it to do the same thing as ProTrack. Moreover, it also has the ability to do a "run" and simulate its track across the sky. Follow its predicted path for several hours and plate solve 20 images along that path so that it can more accurately track that particular object.

I have had these described as less as a German Equatorial Mount and more as a complex robotic arm