View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 09:17 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

In fact for most of Australia, the occultation period is well in excess of an hour - up to 1 hour 20 minutes here in Tasmania. So it will be virtually impossible to place the scope in a building shadow and not have the sun emerge from behind the building before the occultation ends.

This should not really be a problem if the mount and scope are tracking Jupiter as they will remain the 20 degrees away from the Sun. One will just need to be careful.

Using a building will appeal to some. However there are plenty of DIY solutions that can be used to shield the scope from the glare of the Sun.

Irrespective of any shading strategies that I am using at the time, there is one simple safety step that I take every time I am about to look through a scope that is pointing anywhere near the Sun. I simply place my hand infront of the eyepiece to check that the Sun is not in the FOV. If it was, one would have a very bright and hot image of the Sun being projected onto one’s hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrovisuals View Post
Yes I thought that would the way to go. Problem is with the waning moon, the sun is following Jupiter, so by the time you wait for Jupiter to reappear an hour later, you might be in the Sun again!